Thursday, March 10, 2011

Let's Just Be Friends! No Sex, No Love, No Relationship

Luke Ford writes:


When you meet a woman and you have a nice chat or two, before you know it, she’s likely to give you this, “I just want to be friends” talk.


And if you put up with it, that’s all you’ll ever be!


The “Let’s just be friends” announcement is a putdown. She’s saying she has no romantic or sexual interest in you. That’s fine if she has no such interest, but why do I have to listen to her announce it to me like Martin Luther nailing his 99 theses to the wall?


I’ve never told a girl early on, “I just want to be clear, I’m never going to lend you money or give you a ride to the hospital or be there for you just before you menstruate and your other friends are sick of your whining.”


I’d never dream of making such an announcement because I am an old-fashioned Victorian gentleman. I believe too deeply in preserving people’s dignity.


 

No comments: